Monday, July 02, 2007

I am a Berkeley student!?

I am sitting in my sister's studio in north Berkeley, the area typically known as the Gourmet Ghetto. Looking out the window from the desk to the west, I can see the SF bay, the Bay Bridge, SF with the Transamerica pyramid. To the north, I see and smell flowering trees, gardenia and jasmine blossoms. To the north and east, there are the hills behind Berkeley. All of my windows are wide open--and with no screen and no mosquitoes--this old apartment is breezy and bright.

After four hours of the first day of statistics class--which was not too bad at all but promises to get worse-- and trip to the nearby market, I made myself a big bowl of mixed green salad, accompanied by slices of fresh mozzarella cheese, crusty bread, and a peach. It's a simple and refreshing lunch I hadn't had in a year. What's strange is eating alone and being all by myself, with no TV, no music, no kids, no reading materials except for statistics and Buddhist art history (my sister's)!

After lunch, I immediately hit the books and the problem sets. Some first impressions of being a student again:
--It's kind of nice being assigned what to do in order to learn. Just do X, Y, and read Z, due tomorrow.
--The undergraduates do seem much younger now, finally!
--Textbooks are insanely expensive: my used copy of stats book cost $100, more than a Taiwanese student's one month rent! If not for my book allowance, I'd commit the crime of zeroxing! How do you expect average students to pay for $1000+ worth of books a year? It's just absurd!

As for first impressions of being at Berkeley:
--Tons of friendly, laid back people enjoying conversations and reading newspapers at cafes. This morning, as I was saying goodbye to Paul where we got brioches and coffee (yes, pastries at the Cheese Board!), I said, "Okay--wish me luck!" A group of 6, 7 women next to us immediately turned to me and said in unison: "Good luck!" It was nice getting multiple well wishes from a bunch of friendly strangers.
--Lots of walkers everywhere, including myself. Walking around without heavy fumes and humidity is really nice :)
--Lots of tempting plum and peach trees. Can I pick them to eat?
--Lots of sources for guilty pleasure, such as authentic gelateria, gourmet dark chocolate, cappuccinos, homemade soups and sandwiches. The prices made them rather harsh on your pocket, hence the guilty part, but nevertheless pleasures.
--Very ethnically diverse, like a little UN here.
--Amusing signs and bumper stickers. I am collecting them to report later.

The best part of the apartment is the big picture that Noah drew for me yesterday, with humming birds, airplanes, and him. I miss them already and can't wait to go back to them tomorrow.

Now, enough digressing... back to my problem sets. Quiz on Thursday already. (I am so not used to the idea of taking quizzes!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Sylvia, Paul, Noah, and Ben!

I am always happy to spend time wandering, eating, and socializing in Berkeley (though I am glad I am not a student there anymore).

-Diana

Anonymous said...

Now you are in Berkely, good luck~
ya lien

Sylvia said...

Diana--So good to hear from you! I will call you soon to catch up. Thinking of you.
Sylvia

Anonymous said...

Good to know you will continue with the blog, detailing your life at Berkely for us.

Your area sounds great. Maye sometimes in July Christian and I will pay you or your Gourment Ghetto a visit.

-Jenny

Kristi said...

Wow How hard and how wonderful to be a student and live without kids. What a strange year it might be. I can only imagine. I always find it a bit odd to be out in public without the kids and realize that people don't know instantly know that I'm the mother of two young ones.

We can't wait to see you soon. Love, Kristi et al.