Since I am by myself at Berkeley for three or four days of the weed, where there are endless numbers of practice problems awaiting my solution, I have no incentive to cook anything more elaborate than boiled eggs and steamed vegetables. I really don't: there are no kids to feed, and no table to set (there is literally no dining table here), why bother with cooking? I just have to satisfy my hunger somehow.
The first two weeks I really didn't eat well. Partly because I am still a little nervous about this big change, I just didn't feel like eating much at all when I am here. My sweet hubby has warned me: you cannot live on junk food--get yourself something healthy and tasty! So today I went out to take advantage of being at the gourmet ghetto in search of something tasty and inexpensive.
I had saw the sign of 40% hot food after 4 or 4:30 in this popular neighborhood joint just a block away, so I decided to check it out. It was 4:10. I asked which quiches they had left, and they had all three kinds. They looked really good, so I bought one piece, along with an outmeal ginger cookie made with honey, which looked more like a dense scone. Then I asked about the 40% off deals, and was told that after 4:30, any remaining hot food is sold at 40% discount! Since I already bought my food, I decided to get myself some Italian gelato at the corner Ciao Bella store and come back.
When I came back at 4:35, there were a few homeless men and women waiting for food, and the owners were very gracious and offered salads, pizzas, and lasagnas to them. The owner asked "Zoe" (one young woman who looks like she could be homeless) what she would like, and put the last bit of slaw on her paper plate. How nice to hear her call her by name. It was a very happy scene to be a part of, something that may be more typical here than most other places in the US. I got myself a big piece of this great-looking lasagna for just $3.50! I shall save the quiche for tomorrow's lunch after class :)
Now it's time to sample the lasagna, followed by hazelnut gelato and dark chocolate sorbet! This is going to be the first night I am eating something decent since I got here!
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
How was the lasagna?
I'm glad you found a good deal, provided the food is tasty! Gotta eat right.
It was delicious! Everything in that store is vegetarian, and pretty light. I will have to sample everything else--of course, at 4:30pm rather than earlier!
40% off!!! now that's pretty ghetto-
Post a Comment