Nana and Papa came from Memphis for a week-long visit, and we had a wonderful time together. These summer visits have become something of a tradition now, with them staying at this hotel in Belmont, and all going for good foods, nice parks, beaches, taking in the beautiful California weather.
Noah and Ben are such lucky children. They are loved by so many, and I know they know that very well. This is a true blessing, something we can't earn but are given.
I never had grandparents around (Dad's Mom was left in China, as the rest of his family; Mom's parents both died young). So I never knew what's it like to have a big family. I do remember how so excited I was when my uncle came back from studying in the US. He gave me some stickers and a picture book that I loved for years.
Ironically, last weekend, I found the book in a box of childhood things. Of course I took it out to share with the boys. Noah loves seeing things from my childhood and listening to all the stories from when mommy and daddy were little. Now, seeing the cover, memories of hours spent admiring the book all came back. I must have been just 4 or 5 then. Looking at the book now, I couldn't help but noticing its words--it was actually a shock realizing that it's written in English, and had a whole storyline page after page!! My memory of the book didn't include any words, because I didn't know any English, not even one single alphabet. The book all of a sudden took on a totally different meaning. It's a strange feeling seeing it again and now I show it to the kids by reading out the words fluently. It gave me the idea that perhaps I should just let Noah read books by himself, exploring the pictures and not always rely on the words read to him. You can enjoy it almost just as much, for a nice change!
Sunday, July 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment