Friday, July 06, 2007

Starting from zero

It's been quite an humbling experience being a summer intensive statistics student. I realized that everything I have earned for myself since the end of high school--experience, knowledge, status (if any), sense of self worth--means nothing in this context and in this new role. I might as well be fresh out of high school and starting college in America all over again! (In a way it does feel like that first semester at De Anza College fresh out of Taiwan.... I just know more English and less math than I did then.) With my big backpack, t-shirt, and Tevas, I look just like any other Cal students. Nobody knows anything that I thought would define me (a college instructor, a mom of two, Paul's wife, for example). In doing probability, I felt so rusty, knowing that I would have done better in high school. The guy sitting next to me is a sophomore from Taiwan University, a 'kid' who could have been my student just two months ago. He doesn't say much, but whenever I don't know the answer to a problem, he knows it instantly! I know to sit next to him from now on. He has the answers! Actually, after class today, I told him if he would help me with stats, I'll be happy to help with his film class paper.

Though I know if not for what I have accomplished, I would not be here, and I am actually paid a salary to do this, still, what a truly humbling experience. A very healthy one!

No comments: