Thursday, July 19, 2007

My brain is aching...

It's 9pm. I've got not much left but an aching brain and the desire to unwind...

Today: Got up at 6:30 after spending a fun night with the family, got a ride from baba to the BART station at 7:15. Arrived at Berkeley around 8:40. Walked 20 minutes to my classroom. Listened to the GSI's problem sessions until 10 (TAs are called GSIs here. Paul said it sounds like some kind of colon exam!) The professor lectured--really quickly--on hypothesis testing until 11:30, leaving me totally overwhelmed. The class walked over to the computer lab and worked on hypothesis testing on the software until 12:30. Quickly ate my peanut butter sandwich with my study partner.

At 1pm we went to my study group to prepare for tomorrow's quiz. My study group is wonderful, consisting of a Japanese man (worked six years at Proctor and Gamble, just arrived at Cal to do a MBA/MPH and wanted to work in hospital administration), an attorney of 20+ years experience in health policy and law who is also a mother of two boys aged 17 and 19, a senior biology major who is preparing for med school applications, and a high-school girl who is only 15!! You can't get more diverse than this! Everyone's very helpful to one another. At one point, I hear this 15-year-old explaining something to me that I believe is pretty basic but I just couldn't get a full grasp of, I heard myself laughing and saying, "I am so stupid! I can't believe I actually got a PhD. This is embarrassing!" We were laughing a lot throughout. (I think I laugh when I am stressed out.)

At 3:30 I went to see my professor to ask about her lecture and the interpretation of some data. She was super patient and took me through the problems step by step, using various ways to help me understand the material. I was glad I had the guts to ask questions finally. By the time I walked out of her building it was 5. By this point my brain was frozen--I wanted to cry.

I walked home. Saw that the Berkeley Farmers' Market was on. Bought some vegetables and made myself a pasta. Cooking is a good way to calm down, except I turned right back to work after dinner. So now. At 9pm. I am done with work. That's why I stopped to report on a long day with a sore brain.

Looking out the big window in front of me: The sunset horizon across the bay is splendid. The air is fresh and sweet. The moon and stars shining. All is well. I am tired but happy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really admire your guts for going back to school again. Doing those groupie things seem so old to me now. Plus homeworks and quizzes, I know I cannot take those anymore.

But I do like your extrememly diversed group members. From 15 year-old to people a mother of two. How neat to meet people with such a different background.

-jenny

Anonymous said...

I think I'm finally finding out how to respond to each entry - Paul told me! Exciting about your new car! Hang in there - you're doing fine! Paul is right -take care of yourself and remember you have your boys to return to and recharge. Miss y'all. Love, Mom

Sylvia said...

Yeah, you figured it out, Mom! Glad you are reading. I wish I can upload pictures but the camera is always in Belmont and I only have time to write when I am at Berkeley. Yeah Paul's excited about the hybrid car and I know he'll enjoy it :)