Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A sore spot

It's funny that I wrote this entry weeks ago and never published it, and now that we are peacefully existing in the cool San Francisco Bay Area, where A/C is not a problem (few have it or need it), as the temperature is in the 60/70s almost all the time). So naturally I don't feel that I am in a position to say much of A/C. Here, the big sore spot between Paul and I disappeared! Nevertheless, I am well aware that the perfect, dry climate here is by no means representative of the world we live in. So see for yourself what you think:

Paul and I have pretty much similar values on things and aspects of life. Sometimes people are curious about any "cross-cultural" differences that make it hard to live together. For the most part, we are not too bothered by deep differences. But you know what is the one constant source of conflict that we can't seem to resolve due to our differences in background? Air-conditioning!! In a way I dislike hot summers for this reason. Both of us have deeply-ingrained thoughts, habits, or even ideologies (the word Paul frequently used in criticizing my A/C practice) on this issue, and we have a hard time sympathizing with each other. First, don't get me wrong. I do believe in using a/c, and I use it when it's hot and humid outside. It's just that I wait for a higher comfort threshold, while Paul desires it whenever he feels hot and uncomfortable, especially for sleep.

My motives are both for environmental reasons and admittedly I am stingy about electricity cost. On top of that, my background is also a factor: when we we were little, Mama would not allow the a/c (at the time a luxury item) until past noon, and all four of us would gather in the living room, where the A/C is on and all doors shut, to do whatever we need to do. It was a cozy and comfortable memory of being together in order to save energy and money.

My Chinese friends will all sympathize with these reasons, and actually I bet at least 80% are more strict than me as to when to turn it on. One friend, a professor, actually wouldn't turn it on since she lives alone. She feels that turning on a machine for just one person is a waste. Another friend made a rule for turning on the A/C: (1) her office had to be over 29c degrees; and (2) there has to be two or more persons inside. She felt that even though she didn't have to pay for the electricity, more A/C would only make the world hotter.

On the other hand, Paul's background is different. He used A/C when 'necessary' and is used to being comfortable inside his house. While he would say he's environmentally conscious, he doesn't believe an individual's decision on A/C use or not can change the world for the better. At least it's not worth it in the grant scheme of things--he thinks there are many other ways to make a difference, and this particular decision is not one of them.

Paul's by no means considered a wasteful A/C user: most of our neighbors in Arlington have their houses cooler than ours, and some even keep it on when they are out. It's not unusual to turn on the unit for the house when only one person is in the house. In other words, it is perhaps really a cultural difference between Taiwan and US.

So in Taiwan, or in Arlington, we are often getting upset at each other for turning the A/C or heat too high or too low, finding our personal space being invaded. I am sure our readers are divided on this issue: you either fully sympathize with me, or with Paul.

No comments: