Thursday, June 14, 2007

A few goodbye thoughts from Paul

When we first arrived, the steamed dumpling place just outside the campus on Shuiyuan Jie seemed so good. It was equal the the best ones we get in the states. But then, slowly, it started to seem not so good (and expensive, a downright rip-off!) as we became used to the level of quality in Taiwan. Today Sylvia and I ate there our last lunch in Taiwan, and you know, it seemed pretty good again. Maybe the quality has really been fluctuating, or maybe anticipating being back in the US has changed my perspective once again.

Leaving this afternoon has the same feel as moving from to Taiwan 9 1/2 months ago, and I think that shows just how familiar it's become, how at home I feel. Of course in many ways I don't feel at home: I can't stop being annoyed at how people drive and park, and my poor language skills leave me feeling isolated at times. But it's been a great environment for family life and for getting research done. All of our objectives in coming here have been met. So it's been a happy time.

No comments: