Monday, June 11, 2007

Abby, "Cat Brother", and 蘇格貓底: we'll miss you





One of our favorite campus hang-outs is Socrates, or 蘇格貓底 Su-ge-mao-di (abbreviated to be "The Cat Cafe"). We've taken many friends there (you see my good friend Yalien and "downstairs" Wang Girls) to hang out and let the kids play with the cats while we chat or sip tea.

I know that Prof. Lung (my favorite activist/writer) also goes there regularly; in fact, she was behind starting this second-hand bookstore cafe. But I never had the pleasure of seeing her there. Yesterday, after playing in there for 30 minutes, we were on our way out. And right as we went out the door, Lung walked in! Had we stayed on the couch for one extra minute, I could have introduced myself. Oh well, it's never meant to be! And in some way I think it's better for admirers not to meet their favorite authors. It keeps a sense of mystery and distance and helps you appreciate their works more objectively. Not meeting her at the cafe is the only regret I have towards this great place...

No comments: