Besides the impression that everything is so much bigger in America, I also noticed how much more powerful and "industrial standard" everything is here. Take the Berkeley toilets for example: the ones near my classroom are so powerful that the flushing water literally splashes out, making the floor constantly wet. Does my little bit of peepee require that much fresh water? I don't think so! Is water completely free and never runs out? I certainly don't think so, at least not in the state of California! So, do you find it's a little bit ridiculous the way Americans use water and energy in general? I try to not let it bug me, but it's hard.
It's especially hard when I learn that Baghdad has gone days without water. When I saw a picture of three little Iraqi girls, sitting by the doorsteps in the sweltering heat of 104 degrees, play with a small tube with barely a trickle of water. The youngest girl was 2, and by her figure she looks the same age as Ben. Hair soaked in sweat, she probably hadn't gotten a bath in days.
I don't know about you, but I have a very hard time taking the kids to the water park these days, with powerful and continuous sprinklers pump out water purely for the fun of it. As much water as a whole family needed for very basic survival! It is disheartening to observe the way Americans pour water on their beloved lawns and golf courses. For me, it's very hard to find justifications.
PS. In Taiwan and most places in Europe, toilets have two levels. For peepee you just need a little bit of water, and for "solids" you have the choice of a more powerful flush. This is one solution that I hope can be implemented here. But I guess it will really take a more severe drought for people to consider this option.
Also, I was encouraged to see people, including Ashing's landlords, line dry their clothes, taking advantage of the free California sunshine. I often think of my Taiwanese friends living in crowded apartments with tiny balconies, trying to carefully position their washed clothes so as to get a little bit of the sun's warmth, and after two days of humid weather, find their clothes still damp. But without a dryer, they have no other choice. Why is it that people with dry weather and powerful sunshine get machines to do the drying, and those with humid weather and no sun have to rely on the sun? Is it fair?
Sunday, August 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sylvia - Having just purchased three new toilets let me report. Many of the best (mid price) new toilets use 1-2 gallons and there are a few of the two flush systems widely available. The toilets made for heavy use settings are now vaccuum powered and not gravity. So they may be prone to spashing although I have no idea how much water they use. Check out moen or american stardards websites if you are reallyyyyy curious. Too much information. Enjoy the summer see you in November. Love, Kristi
Thanks for sharing your experience: So I guess what seems powerful may not actually use more water. Anyway, my point still holds about how much less mindful Americans in general of resources we use on a daily basis. I try to remind our kids that papers are made of trees, where waters come from, etc, but I don't do enough...
Have you forgotten about our toilet at Woodley Park Towers? That thing was industrial-style, with no tank, and a huge force of water coming from some central flush-power location. It was probably installed in 1950s or so.
I know it's not your point, but when it comes to powerful toilets, that one sets the standard for me.
Post a Comment