Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The fantastic world of drawing


I remember when our neighbor Emily learned to read, her mom (Marna) said that all of a sudden a whole new world opened in front of her eyes. She could get into fascinating stories and imaginary world all on her own! I remembered Marna's excitement and compared it to my excitement witnessing the kids' learning to walk and navigate the surroundings without help. These milestones make a parent truly happy beyond belief!

These days, Noah is almost obsessed with drawing. Airplanes, animals, people, a scene of an activity he recently enjoyed. This morning, upon waking up, he thought of the kitten we visited yesterday at the campus "cats" cafe, and immediately asked, "May I draw Kitty Abby?" He then went to the dining table with a pencil and a piece of paper, and started planning how to draw a kitten. Sometimes he has an idea of how he wants the picture to look like, but he doesn't have the technique to make it happen. He gets frustrated and flustered. Paul would go and help him or shown him a picture so he could trace it. It usually takes several tries before making something he is proud of. Honestly I am pretty amazed by his determination and persistence--definitely not inherited from his mother!

Another good thing that came out of his love of drawing is he can entertain himself for extended period of time! Going to church, sitting through a party, calming down after a busy day... all became so much easier. Wow, the day when Ben too can enjoy drawing will be a fantastic beginning to peace and quiet at home! (Am I too naive?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really the joy of drawing as a child--it was an escape from everything and everyone around me--a true kind of quiet which I miss even now.
Don't have lots of time on the road here but enjoying glancing at your blog!

Sylvia said...

Wow! Great to hear from you on the road from Beijing to Lasa! Draw what you see as an 'escape' from the journey. Miss you. Peace and Safe trip. Jie