Monday, January 14, 2008

Funny dream

R (my mentor from UCSF) was in my dream last night. The setting was my childhood home in Shih-yuan. She actually lived across the street from us! I was picking up my two boys, who were at her house on a playdate with her 15-year-old son. When I appeared at the door, I saw her sitting in the living room, with a bowl and chopsticks in her hands, having a late lunch after work. I remember thinking: "Wow, how cool--at Berkeley, Caucasians using chopsticks in daily life has become commonplace!" Every bit of the dream was clear and realistic. What's funny is the mix-up of people, roles (especially the fact that she and I are interacting as mothers), and settings.

I know what's at stake: my guilt for not working hard enough is creeping up towards the end of this long long break, and my academic role is forcing its way into my mommy role. This is starting to make me slightly restless....

No comments: