Today I offered to teach the kids at Noah's class how to make chewy oatmeal raisin cookies. In the US, I am by no means a baker--my friends are definitely a notch above me. Kristi, Jade, Jessie, Linda, just to name a few superior bakers.... However, here I am considered a superb baker -- well, that's after having baked once or twice, but from scratch! All of a sudden these flattering voices have heightend my self esteem as a baker.
Those 20 kids--85% of them I know by name by now, thanks to my teacherly instinct--had a ball mashing bananas (I okayed their use of fingers, to the surprise of most kids and the teachers, but what fun!!), stirring flour, mixing eggs and sugars and butter, decorating with chocolate chips, measuring oats and raisins, and waiting and waiting and waiting. Well, I tripled the recipe, only to find that there is only one small electric oven in the whole school. So, we have to bake batch by batch, 8 at a time! I think back to all those huge ovens in the US with envy...
Here I am, promoting American "cuisine". What can I make with Noah's American friends after we get back? This is a question that I need to ponder....
Thursday, March 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment