Gongxi Gongxi, Happy Year of the Pig to all!
It's the first time in 15 years that I get to spend Chinese New Year in Taiwan. What festive days! Fireworks, red envelopes, scrumptious home food, and happy people young and old. And in contrast, we have a serene and almost silent college campus all to us.
We had our new year's eve gathering at the Hsu's. Hsu mama is an amazing cook, and we had a huge meal with 10+ dishes, a typical new year's eve family dinner. We then had a slumber party at my sister's. Though we all slept on the floor, we slept very well and undisturbed by the constant fireworks all through the night.
People were right, Taipei was super quiet, the only couple of days in the whole year that the city was this empty. I am comforted by the thought that some hard-working folks finally get a few days to spend with family. Though there are many who don't get a break, such as those working in large department stores, convenient stores, security guards, hospital staff, and small food vendors who feel that they cannot afford to close.
On New Year's Day, we continued festivities with a lunch and a dinner with two separate family friends. Memorable hospitality, and, food, food, more food! Even though our kids were loud and at times require interventions, I think they successfully added to the festive atmosphere desired by all.
I learned that people still observe many customs during the new year holidays. For example, every household does a thorough cleaning before the new year. That means even the dirty street next to campus looked a bit nicer for a few days. Moreover, a married daughter may not go back to her parents on the New Year; she must wait for the customary 'return to mother's house' on the next day. The superstition is that she will bring her family down ("Already relying on her parents on the first day of the year, what will be next?") In general, the idea of saying and doing auspicious things on the new year's day seems to be still observed, as whatever happens on that day is believed to imply what's to come during the year.
There are many similarities between Thanksgiving/Christmas and Lunar New Year: family reunion, thanksgiving and prayer offerings to god(s), lots of presents/red envelopes, and of course, abundant food. There are a few differences: in the West, you don't find as much superstition associated with the holidays. Also, giving presents requires a lot more planning and shopping trips than giving red envelopes.
The holidays continue for the rest of the week. Paul's back busily writing his book, and I try to arrange with some friends while playing with the boys. (I had watched them for a week by myself, so some adult conversations are welcomed.)
Wishing you a peaceful and healthy new year!
Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Guys, I know I've already thanked you plenty of times for writing this blog but I really want to thank you again. I look forward to reading this every morning but the past two posts (Kending trip and Lunar New Year) have both particularly made me want to go visit Taiwan (too bad I'll need to wait another 10 months). The cultural observations, the detailed trip reports and the updates on you how life is going for you and the kids are all great fun to read. Thanks again!
Happy Chinese New Year!
I wish I could also celebrate new year in Taiwan. I miss a lot of great food already....
Angela
Post a Comment