Thursday, September 14, 2006

Today's yoga class

Ouch! This is what I call a yoga boot camp! I finally went to my first yoga class since arriving in Taiwan. It was, shall I say, painful and of course extremely sweaty, but I think I liked it. A comparison among my Arlington studio, Palo Alto studio, and Hsinchu studio is summarized in the table below. (For purpose of illustration, points may be characterized in somewhat exaggerated or stereotypical manner, but you get the general point.)

(Sorry about the huge gap. Blogger doesn't handle tables well.)






























































Arlington

Palo Alto

Hsinchu

Classroom

comfortable, spacious

Zen-like, beautiful, airy

small, noisy, crowded

Class goals

to relax and rejuvenate

to get a vigorous workout and stretch

to become better and more limber

Teacher stresses

"listen to your body and don't overdo it"

"listen to your body and don't overdo it"

"No pain, no gain, go deeper"

Duration of an Om chant

10 sec.

12 sec.

30 sec.

Level of sweat

mild

moderate

dripping wet

Teacher's most frequent words

"relax, breathe"

"breathe"

"listen to my orders and do more"

When you can't get a pose, teacher says

"your hamstrings are tight"

"you have strong hamstrings"

"are you cheating there?"

End chant

Namaste

Namaste

Thank you , teacher


No comments: