Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Space for the sacred

To catch a bus to my yoga class, I have to walk out of a narrow street by the West Gate. All along the motorcycle-filled alley, there are old store-front homes with metal doors where you can see the living room inside. (It would compare with a US garage in that there's no windows but just large rolled metal door.) Out of curiosity, I would peek in to see their living space. Most of them work and live in the same space, among them a barber, a tailor, a few snack shops, a shoe repair shop, and some nondescript work space. You would definitely not call the space adequate for a comfortable life. It's dark, hot, humid, right up against an extremely busy motorcycle street that's one-car's width, and very crowded. In comparison, our apartment, though spartan, is very very nice.

In a few of those tiny homes, the area that stands out is the large alter for the god(s), usually decorated with food, flowers, and lit candles. On Sunday morning, I saw women sitting in front of their alters chanting or reading (perhaps religious texts).

Seeing the area given to the sacred inspite of such limited space makes me wonder: perhaps it would be nice to give the sacred in my life a little more space, both literally and metaphorically?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been enjoying your blog, and the more and more native looks of your boys.
Perhpas it is hard to see when you are just trying to get through the day, but I find there to be many sacred places in your life already. And while we are talking sacred and/or profane, good and/or evil, I think those Hsinchu fishes would be proud to excite appetite in Ben even in their fresh deaths.

Keep up with yoga, and no cheating!
Ashin

Sylvia said...

So happy to see a comment and know you are still reading! I will try to keep up with yoga, and try not to be discouraged by all these ultra-limber ladies around me. Why do you think Chinese people are generally more limber? Nature or nurture?