Monday, January 26, 2009

It's those little things

All beings want to be happy. All beings want to feel loved. No one wants to suffer. Everyone wants to be happy. Important ideas in Buddhist spiritual practice, though sometimes they are not so easy to grasp.

Each of my boys reminded me of what makes me happy in the simplest but profound sense. Tonight, on the way from the bathroom to bedroom, wet and covered with a bath towel, Noah suddenly asked me, "So, mama, how did you learn English?" This seeming random question felt so warm and sincere. I felt cared for and that he is curious about me. We went on to talk about how I learned a little bit of it as a teenager (I imitated what I must have sounded like at 15 and he thought that was pretty hilarious.)

As kind of a routine, after being tucked in bed, they requested that I sang a song. Those teenage years spent at church and Catholic summer camps had the biggest impact on me when it comes to picking random songs to sing. I picked the Chinese version of "Peace is flowing like a river", with multiple verses. At the end, Ben said gently, touching my hand, "Mommy, I like your voice." This simple little compliment can melt away anyone's (especially mommies) heart.

These are little unexpected and unintentional moments they make a parent, or any being, experience the deepest and fullest of joy. I think this is true happiness that every being wants.

No comments: