Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Robust vocabulary and bad words

Noah’s apparently been encouraged to use “robust” vocabulary these days. He’s noticed multiple times when we use one of those robust words. I wish I had kept track of the robustness of my vocabulary and which words he picked up, because right now I can’t think of an example! I just know that lately he likes to use the sanctioned word “stupendous” as a near-bad word in place of “stupid”. “Stupendous” must qualify for being robust?

What’s really funny is that when we cross from English to Chinese, where they share lesser ability and motivation, the whole forbidden bad-word stuff goes right down the drain as far as I am concerned! Yes, in this house, anything to get them motivated to speak Chinese will do for me! Besides, words like “butt”, “stinky fart”, or “lazy bug” or even worse simply don’t go against Paul’s ear even though he knows what they mean! So if you are a Chinese speaker and visiting us, don’t be alarmed to hear the not-so-kosher vocabulary choices in this house. I guess being a little desperate in wanting them to keep up their Chinese, coupled with the linguist instinct not to be too prescriptive, stimulating (Yes! A robust word?!) interests and comfort in the language has taken precedence over prudence when it comes to using language in a natural setting!

Definition of a robust vocabulary by Noah: "It's a word that we don't know, and they tell us what it means and how to use it."

1 comment:

Marna said...

I too have been surprised the "robust" words my kids have recognized in my speech. I thought I was just talking, but it turned out there was a term for it.