Saturday, December 08, 2007

applause to the instructor

Perhaps it's because I was just not a good-enough teacher, but I don't remember getting applauded at the end of a semester. The most was a few thanks by individuals, but nothing like what you get after a piano concert!

In every single class here at Berkeley, including the GSI sessions (at Cal, nobody uses the un PC term of a "TA"; rather, they are called Graduate Student Instructors...), the teachers seem to always receive a round of applause at the end of the last day of class. What a sweet gesture! I like it. Do they do that at Georgetown or Maryland (Jessie?)?

My sister commented that with things like clapping, it just takes one person to start and the group will follow inevitably. So I think to encourage this practice, we just have to plant one guy in each class to start the clapping, and pretty soon, you'll get it in every classroom!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it's more common in lecture-style courses, where the teacher can be seen as a performer. Applause is a group response, and so the students have to feel like a joint audience.

It would constitute some kind of breaking of frame to applaud in a course with a conversational, interactive style, since there the teacher takes on the role of a friend or mentor to each student individually. In that case, the way of showing appreciation would be to address the teacher directly, "thanks for the good course."

Anonymous said...

After reading Paul's comments, I did not think I should post mind. Mine is so 'childish."

But here is it: "what a great idea!"

It never occurs to me that there are different styles in teaching and each styles comes with a differernt way of showing appreciation.

I just think clapping is always a great way to show appreciation. And indeed, all it takes is one person to start.

Paul is such a deep thinker. Of course you too. You and Paul are really perfect together. Many of the things you wrote about never across my mind. If they did, I would never spend the time to think about it. That's why it is so interesting reading your blog. It really opens my eyes/brain.-jenny

Sylvia said...

You are great, Jenny! I don't think about a lot of things that I should think about. So I guess that's a great thing of reading/having good friends/watching a movie,etc. I do think where I choose to get "input" from makes me a more or less happy and satisfied person. For example, watching television in Taiwan (or in the US, for that matter) often makes me upset and doesn't help me think well or positively. I should call you to hear all about Taiwan!
Sylvia