Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Egg hunt: Poor men's version


Happy Easter! Since we missed the fun of egg-hunting with friends in Arlington, I suggested an egg hunt at Noah's school. Originally it was going to be held near our house one afternoon after school, but the teachers complained that they would not get to attend it (Can you believe that? I would have imagined that they couldn't be happier for the kids to be picked up early!) so it was held across from Noah's school on the lawn next to a big lake.

The event was unheard of here, and unfortunately I didn't do the necessary research, so I could not explain to the class the origin of egg-hunting. And since we couldn't find easter chocolates or those plastic shells, the teachers bought little chocolate soccer balls (1/8 of the size of an "American" egg). So as you can imagine, 23 kids running all around a huge lawn carefully looking for minute 'eggs'. And, due to the limited supplies, there was a rule that each kid can only get three. As I recall last year's egg-hunting experience, where a few kids were to find huge, colorful eggs, each filled with multiple candies, this year's shows the poor men's version of egg hunting. Just as fun nevertheless.

No comments: