Friday, January 19, 2007

A surprise gift from Noah's school






Today Noah came home with a large binder filled with pages after pages of his artwork, pictures, teacher's comments, detailed records of his daily school life. I was so impressed by the teachers' dedication and thoughtful work. Then, at the end of the binder, I found a CD labeled "Weihan's photos, 2006 first semester". Guess what? There were three hundred and sixty-five pictures of his first semester at Kuangmin! I loved them all and enjoyed learning about his life at school through the photos. What a valuable and totally-unexpected present!! I am sharing a few of my favorites here. This semester their themes have been "Good morning, School", "Body and Health" (which led them to earn certificates from a 'medical school' to become doctors and dietitians).

His teachers work so incredibly hard. I especially love one of his teachers--she is kind, loving, and open-minded; you can tell she really puts her heart into the job. Using a Quaker phrase I learned at Sidwell, she truly "sees that of God in each child". Everyday when I pick Noah up, she would remember to tell me something about his day that's very specific, something he said or did, good or bad. I know she does that with every single child in this 26-student class. It's amazing, and I know our world will be a better place because of someone like her. It's so encouraging to meet a young educator like her. They are a bunch of lucky kids.

No comments: