Both mornings this weekend, I had reasons for errands that led to driving in the car. What a pleasure to spend some solitary time in the car, cruising the traffic-free roads. Listened to a great NPR program, Speaking of Faith, in which I heard about the long tradition of doubt in many faiths. Today, in many faith traditions, the idea of doubt is not mentioned and not accepted. But if you look back to many important theologians and philosopher within Christianity (e.g. St. Augustine), doubt was part of being spiritual and being human. It's not seperated like atheists and the religious-minded are seperated in today's society.
Anyway, the point I want to make is how much I have unconsciously become a NPR fan. I don't drive much, but the 15 minutes here and there have added up to a great familiarity with all the shows, the hosts, and the depth and quality of the programs and the research going into them.
I respect NPR's role in educating people and in particular, encouraging listeners to think, rather than being spoon-fed (often biased) information.
One thing I always regret is not having developed a good habit of reading. Unlike Paul, reading is effortful and work for me (unless, as you know, if I am reading a cookbook! The more the merrier!) But listening to the radio is much less effort but often an enriching experience.
Sunday, June 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I just went to See the Robert Altman's A Prairie Home Companion. It was a strangely wonderful treat to see all those familiar folks on movie screen (though most are done by actors). The movie also takes a very different spin than the radio show, which in the end actually made me cry more than laugh. Okay, I give away no more.
Post a Comment