I was complaining to Paul that I just can't write. Everything I try to capture ends up sounding mundane and nothing is funny. I can't transfer my sense of humor onto the written screen. He then asked me, "when you think of your day today, how did you think about it and how did it feel being you?"
Hmm... never thought about it really. My immediate answer is, I feel like a functioning machine on a long and complicated conveyer belt, with twists and turns and different buttons and mechanisms that goes on and off of me as I move through this complex system. The mommy hat, the driver's seatbelt, the friendly smile, the cleaner-upper which makes a turn into the short-order cook,... the machine doesn't have a pause button all day. It's loud, busy, competently doing its job without delay.
Now comes the analysis of this analogy, which I'll leave unrevealed. Maybe you, my friend, can help me figure it out.
Sunday, June 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Sis,
I forgot to keep up with your blog for a week or so and coming back to it is like opening all the presents at once. I actually really like the way you write, because it sounds just like you, and reading it is as though I am conversing with you. I also like the machine analogy. Do you suppose a good writer of life is more like a car mechanic (someone with a structural understanding of the machine), a airplane fanatic (Noah's knowledge and enthusiasm for machines), or those guys on NPR's Car Talk (funny, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable mechanics)? What I like about all of the above is that they really treat machines with utmost love and sincerety--they believe in them even when the machines aren't working properly.
Can't write? Not true, Sylvia. You express yourself very well. I enjoyed reading your blog this morning, and before I got to the "in answer to Paul's question" part, I thought that you have a talent for words. Keep on sharing and perhaps you will feel it comes easier.
Marna
Post a Comment