Monday, June 19, 2006

Montreal trip

This is my first time leaving the kids and Paul for an out-of-town weekend trip, and I have to say I had the greatest time!! The time alone traveling was refreshing... walking around town, people-watching, window-shopping, listening to people conversing in French and English, just taking in the charm of the city. I had forgotten how wonderful it is to travel to a new place. And every time I made a wrong turn, a feeling of relief came to me as I realized that I had no stroller to push, no naps to worry about, and no kids to entertain! Just keep on walking and rest whenver you wish to!

No no, please don't misunderstand me- I am not so selfish as to being obsessed with my own feelings. I did feel quite guilty making Paul watch the kids for three days! I know how exhausting it is. He did great though, packing the weekend with activities (the farm, the water park, burger place, many playgrounds, the zoo... what an adventurous Dad he is!) I am so impressed with him, as I know not many Dads (or Moms) take 72 hours with two active boys with such calm and ease.

I stayed in the city with Veena and Greg (and two adorable kids); they are Paul's grad-school housemates and friends. Such a lovely family! I really appreciated the way they interact with one another, and want to emulate the way they relate to their kids. I hope Noah and Ben will stay close to us and to each other, and will work towards this goal.

Some things I appreciated about Montreal and Canadian life that I didn't know before:
-First, it's just so much prettier than DC in its architecture and street scenes. Parts of DC, in comparison, feel so federal and rigid.
-Witnessing bilingualism first-hand is fascinating. Most people freely code-switch between the two languages. I realize again the central role of language and language choice in everyday life.
-My sense is that compared to the US, people make less, pay higher taxes, and goods are more expensive, but social servicese such as health care and education is completely free of charge. So for people who don't want to make a fortune and don't desire a lot of material possessions, I think life can be much less stressful. Now, I hear a socialist talking here. Growing up in Taiwan and hearing all the negativities of socialism, this is a change of perspective for sure.
-There's something much more European about the city, and maybe I am romanticizing it (especially given that I am there at its best season.. I am sure Jan. wouldn't be as romantic!) but I like the European-ness.
-The red-light district near the hotel (with at least 30 sex shops on the street!) does not feel threatening or ugly or dirty. In other words, I sensed that different types of people (class, race, culture..) co-exist a little more peacefully than in the US. Just think about how completely segregated DC and many urban cities are.

Well, just some impressions. Oh, I realized that I haven't even mentioned why I went to Montreal in the first place! You can see what a pseudo academic I am! I did present a paper at a conference, and it went really well. See Sylvia-the-professional picture for proof below. (ps. Paul commented that the photo is so ironic: with end-of-life in the background, I am holding a big big smile. What kind of human am I? Well, I think the smile comes from nervousness, as it was seconds before I began my Powerpoint presentation).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really got to experience how free that once-again freedom from travelling with kids feels last summer, when I was in Boston for three weeks. It is great the first time you remember that you don't have to hurry home by a certain hour. And the second time. So would life be more fun without kids? No, it's the contrast. When I was single, I enjoyed myself, but I also wanted to have the love of a wife and kids, and when I think from the perspective of that time when I could wander whenever I wanted to, it seems a bit old. What we need is variety.

I think the enjoyment of traveling in freedom is similar to reading a book we love or hearing music that moves us. Our minds are happy to have an experience that make them move down a slightly different path. But there's nothing to compare being home with your two little kids to. So a full life for me means having my family and the opportunity to do one of the above.

I think the professional Sylvia looks fabulous! but I'm biased.

Anonymous said...

I love all your blog posts, Sylvia! I can relate so much with your life and it's really encouranging to read how you face all the life challenges with such a positive attitude.

The photo of your presentation is great. I'd say that your subjects/consultants would have preferred seeing your big smile, right? :-)

Anonymous said...

Sylvia,
It was so nice to see you in Montreal! The pictures of your boys are adorable. I look forward to reading your blog this year!
Cynthia