I have to admit it's quite nice having one more holiday and occasion for gifts and pampering. Paul got me some cute summer clothes and they fit very well. It was fun to see Jessie and Ryan and kids, though it was sad saying goodbye and know that we won't see them for a year! It's no big deal for the adults to miss seeing one another, but knowing how quickly kids grow, it made me sad thinking that the next time these four kids will be at a completely different phase of life almost.
Sometimes I wonder in addition to the obvious, what being a mom really means to me and my worldview. One thing I can think of is that every time I turn to the newspaper and see some atrocities done to innocent people, my heart cringes at the thought that some kids, as fragile and innocent as they are, suffer unnecessarily, and some moms are deprived of the seemingly natural previlige of providing the mere basics for their children. It hurts me so much that it almost depresses me, leaving this feeling of helplessness. Think about Dafur, Iraq, Somalia, Indonesia, or just south of the Anacostia River here in town. I wonder besides having this terrible feeling of empathy, what can I do or how can I transform this empathy for other moms to something useful and constructive. This is a big change that I have noted, and as long as I am a mom (which is forever until I die) this feeling won't go away.
So, these grim thoughts aside, I am thankful for this gift of empathy from being a Mom to these beautiful children. Also I feel blessed that their vulnerability and fragility only serve to make them seem cute, rather than defenseless. What a gift that is.
Sunday, May 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment