Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Hard to take it easy....

I try to resist the constant urge to tell people how I feel about what I am learning in public health. These days, whether in classes or on NPR/newspapers, I get very emotional about social issues. Sometimes imagination is not a good thing. When I dwell into an issue, whether it be the crazy US health care system, the immigration issues, the innocent civilian casualties involved in the Irag war, homeless issue, or the xenophobic ideologies, I have a hard time taking these issues personally--as a mother, a woman "of color", an aspiring "public healther", or just someone privileged enough to be educated.

Today, in the health policy module, we spent two hours learning about the history of health insurance in the US. This mess and deeply unfair system left me speechless. Do you know that, in America, if you are sick and poor and don't have a stable job, the likelihood or you getting any kind of insurance coverage is almost zero? Something like 16%of children are uninsured. The pharmaceutical companies have the most powerful lobbyist working with every single congressman in DC. Medicaid only covers about 50% of the poorest of the poor (100% below poverty line). I can go on and on with these upsetting numbers, behind them are real vulnerable human beings who deserve some protection! Not to mention that our president proceeded to veto the extension of the State Children's Health Insurance Program!! How could such a rich and developed country be so boldly cruel and unethical towards its poor and its children?

Since I don't have the right to vote yet, my American friends--please take your vote seriously, and do not let the Republicans' scare tactics fool you(calling any Democrat's health care reform plan as turning us into "socialist medicine"--it's a red herring! Nobody is doing anything close to that among the Democratic candidates!!) If you don't agree with me, please let me know and we can continue the conversation.

I am sorry for using this fun-sharing forum for something so serious but very personal. I just cannot keep quiet right now....

No comments: