Thursday, October 19, 2006

Martyrs' Shrine, Taipei




Two weeks ago, on our way to Noah's Chinese doctor, we decided to stop by the Martyr's Shrine (Zhong Lie Ci) in Yuanshan, Taipei. I vaguely remember seeing the still-to-the-point-of-unreal military police in front. I wanted to show them to Noah.

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to explain to him that they are real people. I only said that they are trained to be completely still and when they march, it's very impressive. When we got to the front gate, upon observing the unmoving guard, Noah moved to touched his shoe!! The guard shook his rifle and a plain-cloth office intervened. We were very embarrassed and Noah stunned.

We were very lucky to be there in time for the impressive changing of the guards. We, along with groups of Japanese tourists, marched up and down with the soldiers and watched them do their salutes, tricks with their rifles, and little subtle motions to adjust their positions. Noah found it fascinating, though it's a little hard to explain why they have to be completely machine-like.

You know what the biggest irony is? I find that it's the large groups of Japanese tourists present at the shrine. I think most of the martyrs entombed there died during the two World Wars. ..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi,

how funny that Noah touched the guard's shoes and getting the 'stunned' reaction. Christian and I saw the 'changing guard/marching ceremony" in Taipei. We, especially Christian, were very impressive.

so your mom is still there? Hope she is going to stay long.

-jenny

Sylvia said...

Yes, Mom will be here until mid-Nov. It's going to be a huge shock for Ben to to be sent to daycare then :(

The changing of the guard is pretty impressive. It must be terribly hot and uncomfortable for them though!