Sunday, July 30, 2006

Bonfante Garden

(This is Paul, asked to write about our visit to Bonfante gardens.)

Yesterday we went with a group of friends to a [small children]'s amusement park in a lovely garden setting in Gilroy ("the garlic capital of the world!"). The kids had a great time and we enjoyed visiting and sharing a picnic lunch with everyone. Thanks to our friends Angela and Corey for inviting us on bring-a-guest-for-free day!

We learned that there's no point in going to a grandiose amusement park, since even in a moderate sized one, there's plenty to do. And the more things there are to do, the more pressure you get to do them, and so everyone is happier if there's not too much.

I didn't get to eat garlic fries, even though it was the garlic capital of the world, and the middle of the annual garlic festival. I did get to eat sticky rice wrapped in tofu with seasme seed, dried salmon, and seaweed.

We were pleasantly surprised that Ben was able to keep up with the program, enjoyed all of the rides, and was happy all day long (though groggy at the end). Of course he had no clue what was coming up next - it must have been strange: one minute he's in the stroller, the next he's in a swan boat, the next he's high in the air on a ferris wheel.

Noah's fascination with older women continued. He had a lot of fun sticking with his six year old friend Natalie. I think he likes them because he enjoys talking so much, and girls are in general better at talking and more inclined to do so.

On the way back, the boys were asleep so Sylvia and I visited In-and-Out Burger. I feel somewhat guilty eating meat with no basis for excuses (it's not "just a little for taste", like in much Chinese food, it's not organic/free range, like at Virginia's Elevation Burger; oh I've got one, the workers start out at $10 per hour. But maybe that's just a California law).

So: go to Bonfante gardens if you have small kids, or like gardens, and you'll have fun.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben is supercute, hands-down.
Can we see a picture of Noah and Natalie, too?

Sylvia said...

I will make sure I add some photos. Noah and Natalie were so cute together!

Anonymous said...

We also had a great time with you guys at Bonfante Garden!

Thanks for preparing lunch for all of us. The kids loved rice wrapped in tofu so much! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hello all,
On the subject of garlic, I once saw a restaurant featured on The Food Network called The Stinking Rose, which I think was in San Francisco. It is an entire garlic restaurant! Very cool. I'm enjoying reading your blog and about your adventures in CA. We miss you so much.
-Jade

Sylvia said...

Jade, I should check out the garlicky restaurant if we get a chance. I love garlic! We miss you so much too. I kept thinking how much fun it would be if Eric can be with Noah. The would go wild together! I want to know about Eric and Matthew! I'll call soon.

Angela, I think it's so great that you guys, despite being busy working parents, always make sure the family gets to spend quality time exploring new places and fun things. This is the part of our childhood memories that'll stay with us consciously or unconsciously. Thanks for introducing to us two great adventures--camping at Portola and the great Bonfante Garden!