Wednesday, August 27, 2008

lots of transitions, and a pleasant treat!

Noah had his last day as a Hoya Kid today. He'll be starting kindergarten on Tuesday, when we will send him off on a school bus and wave bye-bye. On the same day, Ben will be moving to the Koalas at Hoya Kids (Noah's old class). I know I will not be able to hold back tears when that bus drives off. I will remember forever the day when my little baby is off to school by himself! I have to remember to control myself so as not to affect Ben. He was showing some sadness that he won't get to see his brother on the playground anymore.

After work, I met everyone on the playground. Paul had a departmental welcome party to attend, and it turned out to be a ton of food there so we all joined him. I realized that besides the faculty and two older students, I don't recognize a single soul out of a crowd of more than 50 people!! The same place, with the same words of linguistics, the place where I had spent nearly eight years has had a complete turnover that nobody even knows that I was once a student! When I was standing next to Paul, I must have been seen as Paul's wife. Later, however, I was in a different corner with a group of students munching on food. One person asked me, "So are you an incoming fresh man?" I nearly gasped--and recovered quickly with excitement. Wow! I said, "Thank you! You really made my day!" What a pleasant treat to be thought of as someone essentially 17 years younger! She must have had a little too much to drink, but I don't care!

No comments: