Friday, May 23, 2008

Seeing old familiars






En route back to San Francisco. I realized I hadn't used Microsoft Word for over a week by now. These past six days had been fun, interesting, and pretty thought-provoking, with a mix of perspectives and senses.

We first spent one day in Yangmingshan, with a nice dinner and a wonderful hike. Then Paul spent three full days attending a linguistic conference while I visited friends and ran errands in Hsinchu. This part of my duty was not clearly prescribed (the primary purpose of my accompanying Paul was to reward him for having triumphed months of single-parenthood). I took care of our TW taxes with the help of a friend, mother of one of Noah's best friends in school last year. I then requested to walk to the market with Jinlaoshi, a wonderful friend/neighbor who's been teaching nuclear physics at Tsinghua for close to 30 years. We had fun checking out vegetables and fruits. I bought some lichee, mangos, a guava, and crunchy little peaches. On Saturday I went shopping and found the Taiwanese significantly more fashion-oriented than, for example, Berkeley folks! Finally, on the last day in Taiwan Paul and I had a wonderful day browsing and walking around Taipei and saw some good friends.

Some pics from our hotel room view of the city, the hikes up to Yangminshan, the mountain north of Taipei. The rocks by the waterfall and streams are red because of sulfur. Very lush and beautiful, a huge contrast from the crowded, polluted city just 30 minutes down the mountain. To be continued...

No comments: