Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A tiny self study

It’s kind of interesting to observe what stirs up feelings of irritations. Right now I am writing in a café, the woman next to me is crunching carrots non-stop. It’s VERY crunchy and loud, and it’s really irritating me. She’s brought her own snacks of sorts, all of which are very crunchy. Taking a deep breath, I observe this irritation--cannot help think about whether I can stop feeling irritated. Usually when it gets to your consciousness, there's little you can do to get out of the feelings. Why's that?

Just like in one of my classes, the professor and her partner behave in such a know-it-all way that I am sitting there stirring. I try to think otherwise, or at least channel my irritation into a study of my own irritations, but I am very far from being compassionate about these people or my own reactions!

No comments: